Come Play Text

History

In the early 1940s, the only public golf course in town was Indian Park Golf Course, which had sand greens and was located in South Park. Playing a round of golf cost 10 cents and an additional 25 cents for the caddy fee. Indian Trail Golf Course was built in the 1920s and was used until 1948. This was a 9-hole facility (Par 32) and times were changing.

Quincy needed a newer and longer course.

Fast forward to 1946 and the Quincy Park District made a decision to build a course on rural 36th street. Charlie Clarkson was hired, who was the pro at Quincy Country Club at the time, to develop and build this new 18-hole golf course. Robert Glasgow was also hired to supervise the construction of the yet unnamed course. Clarkson did the majority of the original design work, while Glasgow took over the daily supervision of the construction. During this construction phase Glasgow added many personal touches, such as large undulating greens and tree-lined landing areas, which still exist today.

When the course was nearing completion, the Park District was undecided on what to name the new course. They decided to offer a season ticket pass to anyone who could come up with the eventual name. This contest led to the final two selections: Westview Municipal and Green Ridge. The Park District decided to give season tickets to the people who came up with both names. Finally, they decided to call the course "Westview Golf Course of Quincy Park District."

Westview opened for play on Saturday, May 7, 1949. There was a ceremony around the first tee and the president of the Quincy Park District, Robert H. Bangert, hit the first shot. Mayor George Meyer and Robert Glasgow, who was now the head professional, also hit opening shots off the first tee.

The history of Westview would be incomplete without some information about Robert Glasgow. Mr. Glasgow was from Scotland and nearly everyone called him Scotty or Bob. Scotty was a professional in Steubenville, Ohio, before coming to Quincy in 1946. He was given the full responsibility for the management and maintenance of the new course. During his tenure here, Westview added a third nine to make 27 holes in the early 1960s.

Currently, Westview still has 27 holes. In May of 1977, Scotty retired. "Mr. Everything" at Westview, as he was often referred to, felt as though taking care of the course and grounds, on top of teaching, were getting to be too much to handle. Mr. Glasgow designed at least one dozen courses in the area. Currently, the full title for our golf course is "Scotty Glasgow's Westview Golf Course."